- Artists under age 18 residing in Waldo County invited to submit artwork
- Exhibition will be on display at Waterfall Arts and locations around Belfast March 1st to April 1st
- Opening reception on Friday, March 3, from 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Belfast – January 19, 2023 – Waterfall Arts, located at 256 High Street in Belfast, is celebrating Youth Art Month with its seventh annual Young Artists’ Gallery Takeover. The exhibition will be on view from March 1st to April 1st. An opening reception will take place on Friday, March 3rd, from 4pm to 7pm. The reception and exhibition are free and open to the public.
The Young Artists’ Gallery Takeover showcases the vast array of talent from Waldo County’s up-and-coming young artists working in paint, photography, ceramics, and other media. Works of art from artists ranging from prekindergarten children through 18-year-old artists across our community will be on display in the windows of downtown Belfast’s merchants and businesses, both galleries at Waterfall Arts and at the Belfast Public Library. Stanley Buick and the Maine Buick Dealers are the lead sponsors of the exhibition.
Highlighting young artists’ work not only draws attention to the artists themselves, but also puts a much-deserved spotlight on the work of highly dedicated local art educators. For show organizer Bridget Matros — Kids and Families Programs Manager and an art educator at Waterfall Arts –- advocacy of art education has been a core focus of her work throughout the years.
“Art teachers often exist on the periphery of their school community, not fully in the loop with the core curriculum teachers, yet the first to be asked for materials, special creative projects, or artsy favors here and there,” explains Matros, “These professionals not only have a full curriculum to teach, but also have the added layer of materials maintenance, cleaning, prepping and ordering, often doing so at multiple schools. Showcasing the fruits of their labor is the least Waterfall Arts can do to show our support and appreciation.”
The 2023 show will include work from the following participating schools:
Belfast Area High School
Captain Albert Stephens Elementary School
Cornerspring Montessori School
Ecology Learning Center
Leroy Smith and Wagner Elementary Schools
Searsport Middle and High Schools
Troy Howard Middle School
Once the show opens, you can visit the Waterfall Arts website or Facebook page for the names and locations of artwork selected for the library and in-town merchant displays.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: HOW TO SUBMIT WORK
- Artists must be age 18 or under and reside in Waldo County
- One artwork per artist can be submitted.
- Work must be ready to display or hang (mounted on larger paper, matted, framed, or on canvas).
- Flat pieces must be no larger than 36″ x 48″
- Sculptures may be hung or displayed, with a base no larger than 24″x 24″
- Each piece must be labeled with the following information:
- Artist name
- Artist age
- Title of work
- Medium(s) used
- Adult contact’s phone number and email address
- Teachers may submit up to 20 works per school. Contact Bridget Matros, email@example.com, for more information.
- Students, please let your art teacher know if you have submitted a piece independently, so that they can feature another student’s work.
- Deliver artwork to the Waterfall Arts office, which is open Tuesday through Friday from 10am to 5pm.
- The deadline for submission is Friday, February 24th.
- Work MUST be picked up by Friday, April 7th. (M-F, 10am-5pm).
- Tuesday-Friday 10am-5pm Saturday 11am-3pm, or by appointment
- Belfast Free Library hours vary and can be found at belfastlibrary.org
- Downtown merchant windows “gallery” is open 24/7
ABOUT YOUTH ART MONTH
Established in 1961, Youth Art Month is a national program designed to celebrate visual art education for grades K–12 with a goal to increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in exhibitions, workshops, and other creative ventures.
ABOUT WATERFALL ARTS
Waterfall Arts is a community arts center that nurtures and inspires creative expression. We welcome individuals of all ages and abilities to experience art, through a range of activities, including classes, exhibitions, art events, performances, public art projects, and our open studios in clay, glass, print and darkroom photography. We provide support to artists and makers to develop and deepen their creative practice. For more information, follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit waterfallarts.org or call 207-338-2222.
Courtney Oldrin Marketing Manager firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 203-642-6396
Bridget Matros Kids and Families Program Manager email@example.com